2014 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX

Latest Updates

Latest Videos

News - Brazilian GP

2012 Brazilian Grand Prix: Race Report

2012 Brazilian Grand Prix: Race Report
26 Nov 2012

Sahara Force India led 30 laps of the Brazilian Grand Prix as Nico Hülkenberg competed for the victory at Interlagos, eventually finishing fifth. Paul Di Resta looked set for points, but crashed on the penultimate lap of the race.

P5            Nico Hülkenberg (VJM05/03)
Tyre strategy: Used medium, new hard, new intermediates

Nico:
“That was a lot of fun - very entertaining and there was so much happening all the time! We had a great chance to finish on the podium today, but it slipped away, which is a shame. In the early laps it was difficult to keep the car on the track in the very damp conditions, but it was not really wet enough for intermediates and I stuck with the slicks. It was the right decision and soon I was leading the race. I felt comfortable but eventually I made a small mistake and Lewis got ahead of me. I managed to stay with him and was fighting to get the lead back when we touched. It’s hard to say what happened but I was making a move going into turn one and had a slightly loose rear. I was about to turn in and suddenly there was contact. It’s a shame for both of us because we were having a great battle. I managed to keep going but I had lost a lot of time. Fifth place is still a super result to end the season and I think the team did an excellent job this weekend. I hope they enjoyed the race – it’s a nice leaving present in my last race.”

P19          Paul Di Resta (VJM05/04)
Tyre strategy: New medium, new intermediates, new hard, new intermediates

Paul: “It was a very tricky race and not easy to make the calls with the weather constantly changing. Ultimately we made the wrong decision to switch to the intermediates in the early stages because the track began to dry quite soon after my stop. The tyres lost performance quickly and I went back to the slicks just before the safety car came out. That brought us back into play, but I struggled for grip at the restart and lost a few places. When we went back to the intermediates in the closing stages we were more competitive and I was up in eighth place. Unfortunately with a lap to go I aquaplaned in the final corner. It was a big hit with the wall, but I’m OK.”

Robert Fernley, Deputy Team Principal
“What a race! Certainly one of the most exciting races I’ve seen with drama on every lap. For a while it looked like we were heading for a fairly-tale result with Nico leading for so much of the race and showing his skill in the tricky conditions. We had a great car today and had the pace to win, but it was not meant to be. I would question the deployment of the first safety car, which we believe could have been covered under waved yellows. Equally, we were surprised by the drive-through for Nico, and feel it could have been investigated after the race because there were three cars involved. With Paul we played a slightly different strategy with an early switch to the intermediate tyres, as most teams did, but when the rain eased off he went back to slicks. He was looking set for points until the crash towards the end, but it’s a relief to see him get out of the car OK. So we end the season on a positive note and head into the winter optimistic that we can start next year just as well. On behalf of the team I’d like to say goodbye to Nico and thank him for his contribution to our campaign this season. It has been a pleasure to have him drive our cars.”

Latest Comment

I love how the other articles have barely any comments, but then as soon as we challenge for the win wham over a dozen comments.

Ethan 10:51 PM on December 05, 2012

@Suman everyone is entitled to their own opinion but at the end of the day it was a great race and here's looking forward to what I'm sure will be a superb 2013 season.

Ethan 03:12 AM on December 05, 2012

@Ethan I see nothing great about Paul.. All the points he scored were opportunities given to him and never got points on merit... He costed forceindia 6th place, if i have request for Mallya. Please don't sign him for next year. Lot of talents out there waiting for opportunity..

Suman 06:45 AM on November 30, 2012

I really hope that you hire Luiz Razia and Bruno Senna. The Indian team Force reminds us when we were the Coopersucar of Emerson Fittipaldi, but with results much better. Brazil and India have many similarities and now you are entering this sport that needs to to take a shine to us again. It is a hint that returns can not be limited only to the sponsorships that pilots carry with them.

Elton Ogg 07:50 AM on November 29, 2012

It was heart breaking to see that nico unabale to finish podium

Bhaskar Mondal 10:20 PM on November 27, 2012

@Suman PDR is definetly better than 'average',your forgetting he has nearly doubled his points total from last year,did you know that last year that 46 points would put you ninth in the drivers???He is so 'average' he was challenging for the DTM title 3 times???But it was brill seeing Hulk challenge for a race win and if it wasn't for the safety car around halfway we could have won the race and maybe even beaten Sauber to 6th. But 5th is still a great a result and looking forward to next season.

Ethan 01:46 AM on November 27, 2012

thanks nico, pls try to get Romain Grosjean if he is available, Kobayashi is nice but unpredictable, also it time to give the plce of paul to some other.. he is average driver, ya he got us lot of points, but was not that fast. when our car can deliver more ya, we had bit tyer problem but our car was one of the best in some races. so pls get more faster driver. ya we got more point then last year but we earn less money coz we were 7th.

Gaurish Powar 12:06 AM on November 27, 2012

nico was far better then paul this year.. even when paul got point and nico failed in some some races, we could easily find that nico was driving better then paul in terms of fighting on that day... even frm the last few race it proved that nico was giving everything and giving us some extra points... and to be honest last race was all about sahara force india day, nico starting frm p7 to p1 and paul starting frm p10 to p6 at some point.. but hard luck we dint got podium.

Gaurish Powar 11:51 PM on November 26, 2012

Thank you for a good season, Please keep it up. Missing a Podium Finish in this season, For i will be waiting for. And Please Release a T-Shirt(a good one-- on your own,i mean no other labels) So that i can feel proud of this TEAM.

Gopi Chand 10:58 PM on November 26, 2012

grate race by hulk. i always thought that VJM05 lacks something but NO I was wrong.We need a good driver like hulk next season and paul definitely has to improve.

Shano 08:33 PM on November 26, 2012

Razia or Koba next year? Great Job team..

Elton Ogg 04:57 PM on November 26, 2012

Will miss Nico....an excellent driver..Bring Back Adrian to fill Nico's place.

Raman Udgiri 02:16 PM on November 26, 2012

The Drive Thru Penalty was really a harsh one for Nico. It wasn't his fault... it was a race incident just due to wet conditions. What if Lewis Slipped ... The stewards were bias I think... They can not digest if any midfielder gets the win... if there was no drive thru... Nico could have passed Jenson comfortably

Vineet Bhanot 11:52 AM on November 26, 2012

Excellent drive by Hülkenberg..It was awesome watching Hulk drive like champion. I believe it is time to say bye to Paul di Resta (average driver)and get someone line Kovalanien/Kobayashi.

Suman 07:31 AM on November 26, 2012

Please login / signup to post comments.