2014 FORMULA 1 RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX

Latest Updates

Latest Videos

News - Australian GP

2013 Australian Grand Prix Race Report

2013 Australian Grand Prix Race Report
17 Mar 2013

Sahara Force India delivered another strong performance in Melbourne as Adrian Sutil and Paul Di Resta finished in seventh and eighth places respectively, earning the team ten World Championship points.

P7        Adrian Sutil
Tyre strategy: Medium, Medium, Super-soft

“What a fantastic race and a great feeling. I started on the medium tyres, a different strategy to most of the cars ahead of me, and I think this was the right decision. The pace was quick and the car felt very good on the medium tyres so I was able to keep up with the guys in front of me, who I knew were going to pit early. It was not long until I was leading the race – my first time leading in Formula One. After my second pit stop I was back in the lead once again, so I knew that it was possible to come away with a great result. My final stint on the super-softs was much more difficult because the tyres started graining and I lost a few places. I was thinking I might need to pit again, but fortunately the tyres came back to me for the final few laps so I could save the seventh place. This result for the team is a perfect way to start the season and I want to say a big ‘thank you’ to the team once again.”

P8        Paul Di Resta
Tyre strategy: Super-soft, Medium, Medium

Paul: “Seventh and eighth for the team is a great result and a great way to kick off the season. We’ve shown we have a car that is kind on its tyres and that helped us today by making less stops than some of our rivals. I feel I had a car that could have finished seventh, but I was stuck behind some of the three-stoppers at the start of my second stint, and that cost me quite a lot of track position. There are a lot of positives to take from the race, as well as some things that we can improve to make the car stronger, but we’re in a good position heading to Malaysia.”

Robert Fernley, Deputy Team Principal
What a great team performance to start our season. Ten points is a great effort and confirms the pace we have demonstrated all weekend. Adrian’s return to racing has been fantastic and it’s clear he has lost none of his speed or racecraft. He was on a different strategy to most of the front-runners, but made it work beautifully and showed strong pace throughout the Grand Prix – even leading for 11 laps. Paul was on the opposite strategy and finished just a fraction behind Adrian in the end. He probably could have passed Adrian in the closing laps, but he held station to ensure we brought home the strong team result. We said over the winter that we needed a strong start to the year, so hopefully we can build on this next week in Malaysia.”

Latest Comment

Good come back Sutil. U will be on the podium this year as u hoped.

Manohar Nvl 05:16 PM on March 19, 2013

Well done Adrian

Rishikesh Pillai 10:24 AM on March 18, 2013

(cont.) Adrian lost 7 positions just because of the tyre's , that is lot of points. I hope we can produce stronger performance in Malaysia. Team is pumped up with 10 point-opener, let hope for podiums in coming days.

Sachin Francis 01:43 AM on March 18, 2013

(cont.) Tyre wear is also depended on driver styles, maybe reassessing each drivers driving styles will be effective step towards planning Tyre strategy. Its time that we rejoice on the podiums we have won and not on the number of laps we have dominated ( I am not being harsh , but we really can step up our performance with good race strategy ).

Sachin Francis 01:34 AM on March 18, 2013

A Podium was all set, if not for the last supersoft's which has repeatedly shown us short life and faster wearing during good conditions. I think we should foresee the perfect Tyre strategy for every race. We lost podium in last 2 races because of a wrong decision (2013) and an driver's error (2012 but very unfortunate). We have the pace and i think we should give enough time for driver in Qualifier rather than giving them the last few minutes in Q2 and Q3 .

Sachin Francis 01:19 AM on March 18, 2013

Well done to all at SFI. I'm a bit confused - Is Sutil pronounced Sootil or Sutil, only different commentators on TV seem to pronounce it different

Paul Trivass 11:45 PM on March 17, 2013

Congratulations SFI! Fantastic start to the season!

Killer I 08:49 PM on March 17, 2013

well done force india... made all of india proud. hats off to VJM to stick to his investments in F1 inspite of all ups n downs. keep it up. CHEERS

Anil Dhingra 08:41 PM on March 17, 2013

congratulations to the whole team and well done. You people have already shown the power of force. Feel the force.. ..

Satish Babu 07:00 PM on March 17, 2013

Way to go SFI!!!Return of Sutil has worked! We have got the best combination in Paul and Adrian...Glorious days ahead..

Killer I 06:52 PM on March 17, 2013

we are in 5 at points tally ... will continue this performence in next GP .

Vickey Omble 05:48 PM on March 17, 2013

Fantastic return by Adrian Sutil . Matching pace with red bull

Vishal 05:29 PM on March 17, 2013

Cars are l;ooking sweet and some superb driving from two great drivers.... well done team

Colin McMillan 05:28 PM on March 17, 2013

Nice to see that we have got 10 points in first race. Great performance by Sutil and Paul. Wish you all the best!!

Mano5 05:15 PM on March 17, 2013

Adrian! We missed you. It's so great to have you back and racing for SFI! All the wishes to the team for the next coming weeks.

Deeptiman Chatterjee 03:52 PM on March 17, 2013

Please login / signup to post comments.